Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day ~ A Celebration of Love

I woke up this morning and saw my Facebook page littered with comments of love and appreciation for spouses as well as those bitter comments filled with resentment coming from all my single friends.  It got me thinking about this commercialized holiday where the price of roses skyrockets and poor hubbies are praying that a store will still have a box of chocolate he can pick up on his way home. What is Valentine's Day supposed to be all about?

According to the history, the origin of the day cannot be pinpointed yet there are many legends as to where the day came from.  My favorite is the legend of St. Valentine.  According to one legend, an ancient emperor in Rome banned  marriage and disallowed men from having any emotional connection with their spouse.  He thought this would make them better soldiers.  St. Valentine didn't agree with this so he would marry men and women in secret.  When the emperor caught wind of this, he ordered the death of St. Valentine, which happened to be on...you guessed it, February 14th.  Since then the day has been a celebration of love, affection, and sharing gifts with those you care about.

In my book, this doesn't necessarily equate with being a couple.  It can take on a whole lot of different meanings, mostly remembering to celebrate our freedom to love.  I will be sharing this day with my husband, of course, but also with all those in my life that I love, my precious daughter, and family and friends.  Spread the love everyone, and leave the $100 roses to someone else.

                                                                Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

  1. i'm a singleton, and wish i wasn't, but i am not bitter about Valentine's Day at all! i feel sorry for those who are. what a miserable way to spend the day.
    now, as for gifts: give me a homemade card, a bottle of Coors Light, and a $1 box of Sweethearts conversation hearts (NOT Brachs!), and i am a happy happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Valentine's Day should be about all kinds of love. The story I heard about St. Valentine emphasized the sacrifices he made for all the people around him. The folks in your life are blessed that you remember them! I'm visiting from NOBH. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you now from 'mama monday'! Great blog-daughter is adorable!

    http://livinglifephotographically.blogspot.com/2011/02/us-then-and-now-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable picture!! Happy Valentine's Day! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby made sure he told me alot more than usual that he loved me. He even changed a dirty diaper without me asking! (I think that was the best present ever lol I'm not sure when the last time was he did that :) )

    Thanks for linking up to Friendly Wednesday, I'm following you back.

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! As a teen I would go baby sit my 2 younger cousins on VD so my uncle could take my aunt out. He always brought her flowers and one single rose for his daughter. I loved it and was jealous that he wasn't my dad :0

    Hubby on purpose doesn't bring me flowers on VD just to be different. He will give them to me through out the year whenever the mood hits him which means much more to me!

    Thanks for stopping in and linking up in the Friendly Wednesday!! I enjoyed popping in again! Susie at Scraps of Life

    ReplyDelete

Really haute comments