Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lazy Sunday - Who Wants Pizza?

Something that we always tend to crave on a lazy Sunday is pizza. Whether it is lunchtime and your family is sitting around or dinner time rolls in and you are looking for a quick and easy meal, pizza seems to be the cure all. Now that I am back to my happy weight, pizza is definitely not welcome around my house. Although I am all for enjoying things in moderation, I have no self control around pizza and the intent of one or two pieces turns three or four. This may even mean pizza for breakfast the next day because I just can't help myself.

I found this great recipe from Dana Angelo White who is all about fast and healthy. She has created a very doable pizza recipe that will meet all the requirements of a good pizza. It is good, it is quick and easy, and the best part, it is healthy...at least healthier than your normal delivery pizza which can pack over 200 calories and 11 grams of fat in just one slice of plain cheese. I hope I didn't ruin it for you all.

This recipe is a heathy alternative for that staple Sunday pizza. I was thinking how much fun it would be to let your kids or guests make their own pizzas too - you could just supply the toppings! Or what about having a pizza potluck?!

Serves: 8

Version 1: Vegetable

Ingredients
  • 2 whole wheat English muffins, sliced
  • 1/4 cup marinara sauce
  • 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives
  • 4-5 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375F. Place English muffins on a baking sheet lines with aluminum foil. Top with marinara sauce, bell pepper, olives and basil. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.

Nutrition information per pizza:
Calories: 130; Total fat: 4.5g Saturated fat: 2g; Carbohydrate: 16g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 390mg

Version 2: BBQ Chicken
Ingredients
  • 2 whole wheat English muffins, sliced
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1 medium scallion, finely chopped
  • 3 oz grilled chicken breast, diced
  • 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375F. Place English muffins on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Top with barbecue sauce, scallion and chicken. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.

Nutrition information per pizza
Calories: 160; Total fat: 16g; Saturated fat: 2g; Carbohydrate: 16g; Protein: 13.5g; Sodium: 428mg



3 comments:

  1. We are big fans of English muffin pizza in this house!!! Making our blog hop button right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining Surfin Saturdays! Following you back. I also co-host a Frugal Friday Hop (all bloggers welcome). We would love to have you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new pizza recipes! I've posted 2 pizza recipes on my blog you should check out. Peanut Butter Pizza & Pizza Cupcakes. Also, I found you on Bloggy moms and I added your button! Love your blog!

    Margaret (@goodbadfamily)
    thegoodthebadthefamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Really haute comments