Monday, October 17, 2011

Haute Mom Dilemma #55 -Going For The Gold

I was 33 years-old when I found out that I was pregnant with Stella. I will describe that moment as an unexpected surprise. Children had always been something the hubby and I had seen in our future, just a little further away. Still, who was I kidding, I was 33 years-old and not getting any younger so it was one of those things I chalked up to "it's that time". We were able to embrace this surprise, feeling that there were so many things we had already been able to do as a couple, that it was the right time to expand our family.

Now that Stella is 17 months, I couldn't imagine life differently. She is honestly the sunshine in my day. Everything I do is for her and I wouldn't change a thing. Things in my life are obviously altered, and I feel that time is passing by at a dizzying speed. Every now and then, I see myself doing things I used to do before Stella; things that seem like a faint memory. I catch myself wishing I had more "me" time to do those things. Being a career mom with two jobs, as well as a small business owner, I know that if I want any time to myself, it is going to have to be scheduled time. The hubby is WONDERFUL with helping out so that I can have time to do things that every woman needs to do like getting my hair done, or a much needed mani/pedi. He is always saying that I should go out and do this or that while he watches Stella, but I feel guilty. I feel like I am already gone so much because of work, all my free time should be spent with her. Yet, I can't help but wish (shamefully so), that I could find time to do something on my own.

For that reason, I have decided to bite the bullet and do it. I have signed up to run a half marathon in January. I used to run all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME. I have run in the Long Beach Marathon, done the Long Beach Triathlon, and a number of Ragnar Races. Running used to be my escape, and now, I am lucky if I can get one run in a week. Not anymore. By signing up for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland this January, I am SCHEDULING something that will push me to take more "me" time and train for this run. It is a happy medium for me because running is something that is flexible and I can do it at the best time for my family, and even take Stella along if needed.

I do find it comical that I have to schedule a half marathon in order to take "me" time, but we all have to do what works for us, right? I urge all parents to find the time to do something they love to do on a consistent basis. It keeps us sane, it keeps us happy, and it keeps us healthy. What is something that you loved to do before the little ones came along? Get out there and do it again! Go for it! And if anyone needs a running partner...

Dusting These Babies Off


Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

Really haute comments