Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tales from the Skies

Because we can't seem to sit still for too long, hubby and I took a quick trip to the Bay Area to attend the Bridge School Benefit Concert and pay grandma and grandpa a little visit. It just so happened that Dave Matthews was playing so I was super excited for the getaway. Because we were just heading up for the weekend, we decided to fly up and take Stella on her first plane ride. I figured, that the worst that could happen was that she would cry the entire one hour and fifteen minute flight.

I must admit, getting through security with the extra pursing hanging around my neck was a little nerve wracking and stepping onto a tiny 2 by 2 seated plane didn't help either. But as soon as we walked onto the tarmac and saw the plane (yes, that is how small the plane was...barf) Stella's excitement took over. She loved the plane, charmed everyone around us (which was pretty much everyone on the flight, did I mention it was a small plane?) and the flight went off without a hitch.

After no more than a couple hours of getting settled, we kissed Stella good bye and headed off for the Bridge Benefit Concert. The event was two days and we were in for tons of music played by Neil Young, Carlos Santana, the Foo Fighters, Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, Tony Bennett, Eddie Veder, Norah Jones, and of course, Dave Matthews. The Bridge School is a school that was founded by Neil and Pegi Young for children with severe speech and physical impairments. This benefit concert is an annual event that has been going on for 25 years, and this is the first time we have attended.

It was one of the most touching events I have ever been to. The children of the school are allowed to sit on stage and watching them enjoy the music was life changing. There were touching videos of the children in the school environment that made me understand how wonderful the school is and how it touched the lives of so many impaired children. While I am grateful for Stella's health, I am now also grateful that there are schools such as this to ensure that these children are given an environment in which they thrive.

My 1st plane ride!

Look at all the amazing children on stage!

Ready for my flight home!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

2 comments:

  1. cute family! :) new follower form the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you come up for that we'd love to go with you guys. I hear it is a great event!

    ReplyDelete

Really haute comments