Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lazy Sunday - Perfect Pasta for Winter

Happy Sunday everyone. I have another super easy recipe for your laxy Sunday and this is courtesy of Giada at the Food Network (can you tell I LOVE her?). This is a perfect recipe to add your own touch to. I think adding whole wheat pasta and some ground turkey would make a perfect meal. I was even thinking about adding some veggies to it to get our daily servings in. And I didn't see cheese in the recipe but you can bet I will be adding that as well!

Pasta all Formiana

Ingredients
  • Butter, for greasing dish
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 pound (8 ounces) mezze penne or other small pasta
  • 1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 to 5 very ripe, extra-large or beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
Directions

1. Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend together the crushed tomatoes and garlic. Pour into a medium bowl and add the uncooked pasta, 1/3 cup olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss until all the ingredients are coated. (Honestly, you can skip to food processor and just add your favorite jar of tomato sauce if you like.)

3. Line the bottom and sides of the baking dish with tomato slices. Pour the pasta mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Arrange the remaining tomato slices in an overlapping layer on top of the pasta mixture, making sure the mixture is completely covered. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake until the tomatoes are slightly crispy and the pasta is cooked, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Watch Giada as she makes the recipe. She looks so much better than I do! :)


2 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! I love her too and doesn't she seem so nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her as well, did you know that she has a "potty" mouth? That made me giggle when I found that out, I did not realize it.

    ReplyDelete

Really haute comments