Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Accomplishments for the Right Reasons

One of the things that we know as parents is that we have a crucial job of a role model. The biggest question isn't "How can I be a good one?" but should be "What do I want to model to my children?"

I decided a few months ago to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by running with their Team in Training at the Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland. As I have said before, I used to be a runner and had slowly been trying to get my way back to where I used to be after having Stella. I thought this was a fitting goal and a great way to raise money for a wonderful cause in honor of a friend who had recently been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

I started training at the beginning of October and immediately had reservations. I'm always complaining about how little time I have as it is, and I began to question by sanity by taking on another task; one that would require a lot of time training. After talking it over with hubby, we decided that it was something that I should do. Nearly every Saturday morning for four months, I rose at 6 a.m. to meet my group for our runs. During the week, I got out of bed in the dark or ran late into the night in order to squeeze in my mid-weeks.

Days before Christmas, we found out that we were expecting baby number two. Hubby and I were overjoyed, and I again questioned whether or not running a half marathon is something I should be doing. Since quitting is not in my nature, with our doctor's blessing, I continued to train through first trimester exhaustion and morning sickness.

The half marathon was last Sunday, Jan. 29 th . I was really nervous in the days leading up to the event, but found myself excited while waiting in the corral Sunday morning at 5:30 a.m.

After a great run, passing the 13 mile marker, I had renewed energy knowing that Stella, hubby, and my brother were waiting at the finish line. Heading towards the finish, I caught a glimpse of my hubby holding Stella high above the crowd, trying to point me out. I stepped over to the side and called her name, waving, emotions rushing over me as I saw her, and knowing that after many months, I had completed the 13.1 miles (three months pregnant, no less.)

After making my way through the chute, Stella jumps into my arms. I have never seen her so excited as she says, "Mommy running." I asked her what she thought of seeing mommy run and Stella responds, "I clapping." and gives me a giant hug.

I knew at that moment that the training, the fundraising, and the completion of my half marathon were well worth it. As a mother, these are the things I want to model to my children, working hard, making sacrifices, perseverance, and mostly importantly, successfully accomplishing the goals that you set for yourself.

A memorable morning view



Stella admiring my medal

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

  1. OMG, what a beautiful post! Being a mom is such an awesome thing... and what a great role model you are!!

    ReplyDelete

Really haute comments