Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be Mine

Ah...another holiday. This one is slightly connected to more mixed emotions than the others. When I looked at my Facebook page this morning, I saw more "Happy Single Awareness Day" than I did Valentine's Day wishes to loved ones. And it made me sad.

As I have mentioned before, I am not a huge holiday gal. I try to get into the spirit but I am not the one that is known to all out decorate the house and bake holiday shaped treats. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just always seem too busy to find the time. Valentine's Day has never been a big holiday for me. I always have fond memories of the day and being in a relationship never seemed to have much to do with it. A memory I hope to pass along to Stella and baby #2.

Growing up, my mom always showered us with Valentine's cards, stuffed animals and sweet treats. I never really saw it as a holiday for couples, but more as a holiday where you show your loved ones how much you love them. As an adult, even my years where I spent Valentine's Day as a single lady, it never depressed me. I was always surrounded by friends or family and was able to celebrate the love that surrounded me in some way or another. It is unfortunate that so many people view it as a holiday against single people instead of a holiday to let all those special people in your life know that you love them.

Today is one of my twelve-hour work days. I won't be home until 7:00 p.m. The hubby is always very aware of holidays and making them special, but I told him that simply ordering some food will be plenty for me. Last year, our first Valentine's Day with Stella, we had a romantic dinner for four at one of our favorite restaurants. Stella brought along her uncle as a date. I couldn't have been more happy than if I had been showered with flowers, chocolates, and diamonds. Valentine's Day is not about gifts, it is about being with the people that you love.

Teaching Stella what holidays are all about is an important duty. I have debated whether to shower her with kisses today, like I always do, or to get her a card and a fuzzy little animal to show her that I love her. I asked myself, "Would these actions be different than any other day?" and the truth is, it wouldn't be. Stella gets showered with love, kisses, and fun little gifts daily. I know she would absolutely LOVE a cuddly little bear but, in the long run, will she understand what it is for? I have no doubt that her ability to understand this holiday is a little premature and I also know, that whatever she gets today, tomorrow, or next week will bring her the same amount of joy.

However we choose to celebrate this day with our loved ones, let's remember to remind our little ones, and ourselves if needed, that this is a day of love. Send your loved ones a text, give your babes some extra kisses and hugs, and let everyone know that as long as they have someone they love in their lives, then it is their day too. All this is much more meaningful than a box of chocolates...and easier on the waist.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Be mine

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Really haute comments