Friday, April 12, 2013

Add Some Fun To Your Fruits and Vegetables



Getting most kids to eat fruits and vegetables can be a difficult task.  While we all know that it’s important, I know that many parents give up the fight because sometimes, after a long day, they just don’t have the energy.

Stella and now little Carter have always been decent eaters. Stella eats fruits and vegetables but definitely has to be in the mood for them.  If she feels like carrots, and carrots are on menu, then she’s gobbling them down. If she wants brussel sprouts and I serve carrots, then she’s choking them down as if I gave her dirt to eat.

Stella laying out her new delivery.
Carter, although we are still on baby food, seems to eat anything we put in front of him. I can tell his distaste by nothing more than a small grimace at first bite. He still eats the stuff anyway. Since he is my second child, I know this may not last for long.

One of the best things that I have done for my family is to sign up for a produce delivery service. There are many of these coming into existence ranging from services that support local services to larger services that full produce from various regions.

The great thing about the produce service is that is shows up on my doorstep early Tuesday mornings. Stella loves to wake up and look through the box. I then will let her choose what fruits and vegetables she wants us to eat for a snack or dinner. I have found that her interest in eating fruits and vegetables has grown immensely.

We are not eating things that I normally would never buy – rainbow chard, grapefruit, parsnips are showing up at the table (and being eaten) in addition to some family favorites like strawberries, apples, asparagus and brussel sprouts.

It may not be for everyone, but for us, having fresh produce delivered to our home and gotten us to eat our fruits and vegetables “outside the box” and has proven to be some fun for the little ones too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Really haute comments